Calling bilingual graduate students for an opportunity to take part in the research and policy development across the Levant and Middle East. The Economic and Social Commission for Western Asia promotes economic and social development through enhancing the sustainable development of its members States. Enjoy your downtime strolling through this seaside city known for its nightlife and sumptuous cuisine.
ESCWA promotes regional cooperation and policy co-ordination, and highlights the linkages among the economic, social, cultural, technological and environmental dimensions of development. The duration of this internship is three months starting 4 July 2016 (full time basis) and may be exceptionally extended for a maximum period of six months on the recommendation of the Director of the Division.
Directly reporting to the Chief of the the Strategy, Evaluation and Partnership Section, the intern will be responsible for carrying out the following:
- Supports ESCWA’s key research initiatives on substantive issues in the region;
- Provides support to the design and execution of ESCWA’s internal and external thematic evaluations;
- Prepares strategic communication briefs based on evaluation reports;
- Carries out basic research on selected aspects of programmes, operations and prepares background sections for the evaluation ToRs of upcoming evaluations;
- Contributes to the preparation of various written outputs, e.g. draft background papers, analytical notes, sections of reports and studies, inputs to publications, periodic progress reports, etc;
- Maps potential partners in the Arab region and updates the knowledge base database on a regular basis;
- Keeps abreast with and report on broader political and socio-economic developments relevant to ESCWA’s work;
- Drafts official correspondence in English and/or Arabic for senior managers;
- Supports the development of a consultant database;
- Assists in administrative duties as required.
To qualify for an internship with the United Nations Internship Programme, the following conditions must be met:
Applicants must meet one of the following requirements:
(a) be enrolled in a graduate school programme (second university degree or equivalent, or higher);
(b) be enrolled in the final academic year of a first university degree programme (minimum Bachelor’s level or equivalent); or
(c) have graduated with a university degree (as defined above) and, if selected, must commence the internship within a one year period of graduation;
2.Be computer literate in standard software applications;
3.Have a demonstrated keen interest in the work of the United Nations and have a personal commitment to the ideals of the Charter; and
4.Have a demonstrated ability to successfully interact with individuals of different cultural backgrounds and beliefs, which include willingness to try and understand and be tolerant of differing opinions and views.
Applicants are not required to have professional work experience for participation in the programme.
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations. Arabic is also a working language of ESCWA. For this post, fluency in written and spoken English is required. Knowledge of Arabic is highly desirable.
Deadline: June 2, 2017
Apply through the UN Portal