Data Diving in Vienna
The CTBTO brings on interns with backgrounds in engineering and science to produce discrete results during a 3-6 month assignment in Vienna.
The International Data Centre and International Monitoring System Divisions are technical organizations that apply engineering and science to develop, instantiate, and operate measurements stations around the world as well as receive, process and disseminate the data collected by these stations as well as related analysis products. These are based on four different sensor technologies (seismic, hydroacoustic, infrasound and radionuclide). Potential intern assignments include scientific, engineering, and planning work in station or sensor development, construction, maintenance, repair, logistics, operation, data analysis, and data management.
Under the supervision of a Chief of a relevant Section in the International Data Centre or International Monitoring System Division and in coordination with the responsible Officer(s), the Intern shall:
- Define, review, or refine the scope of a discrete project that supports a longer-term goal of the Division;
- In collaboration with an assigned supervisor, plan steps to accomplish the scope of the project;
- Conduct technical or programmatic research;
- Develop software, conduct engineering study or undertake data analysis as appropriate;
- Prepare summary report of work including relevant documentation;
- Other tasks as assigned;
- The intern may be assigned any other duties in furtherance of the Commission’s activities and the scope of internship tasks will be scaled to the level of education and degree program of the candidate.
Education: The applicant must have completed at least two years of full-time study that will lead to the award of a degree in scientific, engineering or technical field. Applications may be may up to two years after completion of a bachelor’s, master’s or doctoral degree.
Language: The applicant must possess excellent written and oral communication in English. Working knowledge of another official language of the CTBTO Preparatory Commission is an asset.