IESC is seeking an Advocacy / Business Enabling Environment (BEE) Specialist for an anticipated 5 year, $50-75 million investment and private sector development project in Kenya.
The Kenya Investment Mechanism (KIM) is expected to promote private sector growth by identifying SMEs and entrepreneurs and mobilize various forms of capital with technical assistance and transaction advisory services to seed enterprise growth. Candidates should have experience working with at least one of the targeted sectors: agriculture, clean energy, nutrition, WASH, regional cross-border trade, and youth-oriented activities. The position will be based in Nairobi.
- Work with private sector and government stakeholders and with project colleagues to ensure optimal design and implementation of the BEE work plan;
- Assist in gaining acceptance for the project’s approach to BEE; Formalize the district consultative process on reform;
- Determine priority reforms and develop approaches to reform; Support implementation of demand-driven business reforms;
- Analyze and map reform to best practice; Develop economic and investment strategies;
- Design intervention to remove distortions in domestic markets in provinces through policy and regulatory reforms, thereby making these more competitive.
- Analyze the environment in which reforms are to be initiated and propose mitigation and promotional measures.
- Develop a framework for analyzing existing policy, suggest reforms and regulatory changes required.
- Develop a monitoring framework for such reforms. Propose an advocacy plan for reform acceptance. Analyze reform-based constraints to female position creation and entrepreneurship;
- Develop gender opportunity strategy to ameliorate reform-based constraints; Design and test gender opportunity reform packages; Integrate gender opportunity reform packages;
- Deliver constraints/reform package awareness training; Integration of gender equity into all aspects of component activity;
- Relevant graduate degree in Public Policy, MBA, or a related field is required.
- Must have relevant experience in East Africa. Experience in Kenya is highly preferred.
- A minimum of 15 years experience advocating and developing policy decisions in private and public institutions including experience in planning and implementing technical assistance for policy reform and institutional capacity building in a variety of sectors;
- Prior experience of working with donor projects, USAID experience is highly preferred;
- Private sector experience including strategic planning and/or financial management highly desired.
- Fluency in English is required